The issue of energy poverty has been included by the European Union in some of its initiatives and programs, such as the Renovation Wave, the EU strategy which promotes the renovation of existing buildings to achieve energy efficiency, sustainability and affordability.
In the face of the COVID-19 scenario, the most vulnerable populations have faced increasingly harsh conditions, and it is key that recovery policies and measures provide an effective framework to promote renovations and alleviate energy poverty.
This roundtable invites experts, policymakers and representatives of the European Commission and the European Parliament to analyse the impact of EU Renovation Strategies in tackling the issue of energy poverty.
Moderator: Knut Hoeller – Executive Board Member, IWO (Housing Initiative for Eastern Europe)
- Ciarán Cuffe – Member of the European Parliament
- Stefan Moser – Head of Unit, Directorate-General for Energy, European Commission
- Hennadiy Zubko – Former Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine and Minister for Regional Development, Construction and Housing
- Barbara Steenbergen – Head of EU liaison office, International Union of Tenants (IUT)
- Ruth Owen – Deputy Director of FEANTSA, the European Federation of National Organisations Working with the Homeless